January 13, 2011
Find some great indoor activities plus enter The Silly Dilly Band giveaway
It was another cold snowy week, but we still had a great turnout on Sunday for our Macaroni Kid event at City Treehouse in Chelsea. Kids of all ages put their creativity to work creating necklaces, drawings and more both before and after playing in the awesome indoor treehouse and water play area.
Monday, January 17, 2011 marks the 25th anniversary of the Martin Luther King Jr. Day holiday, honoring Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and his life's work to make the country a better place for all. In 1994, Congress designated the MLK Jr. holiday as a national day of service, and it is the only federal holiday observed as a national day of service - a "day on, not a day off." The MLK Day of Service is part of United We Serve, the President's national call to service initiative ...
Where: The Skyscraper Museum, 39 Battery PlaceWhen: 10:30 AM - 11:45 PMWho: Ages 7+How: Registration is required by Friday, Jan 14th by 5PM by emailing [email protected] or calling 212-945-6324.Cost: Suggested donation - $5For more info: http://www.skyscraper.org or call (212) 968- 1961
Where: 14th Street Y - LABA Theater, 344 E 14th StWhen: 11:30 AM (See website for additional times.)Who: All AgesCost: $15For more info: http://14streety.interticket.com
Where: McNally Jackson, 52 Prince StWhen: 11:30 AM - 12:30 PMWho: Ages 3-8How: Just Show UpCost: FreeFor more info: McNally Jackson
Where: Scholastic Store, 557 Broadway b/w Prince and Spring StreetsWhen: 3:00 PMWho: Ages 3+How: Just show upCost: FreeFor more info: http://store.scholastic.com/ or call (212) 343 - 6166. Events hotline (212) 343 - 6166 Option 4
Where: 92YTribeca, 200 Hudson StreetWhen: 11:00 AM (Every Sunday)Who: All AgesCost: $15 for both kids and adults, children under 2-years-old free.For more info: http://www.92y.org or call 212.601.1000
Where: City Treehouse, 129A West 20th Street, between 6th & 7th AvenuesWhen: 4:00 PM - 5:00 PMWho: All AgesHow: To register, call (212) 255-2050 or email [email protected]Cost: $20 per child ($25 at the door) all agesFor more info: http://www.citytreehouse.com/
Where: PS 41, 116 W 11th St at 6th AveWhen: 9:30 AM - 12:00 PMWho: 2.5-5 yearsHow: Apply Online or call 212-877-7171Cost: $65For more info: http://www.supersoccerstars.com
Where: Karma Kids Yoga, 104 West 14th Street (between 6th and 7th Avenues.)When: 3:30 PM - 4:15 PM (3:30pm for ages 4-6; 4:30pm for ages 7-9)Who: Ages 4-9How: Call (212) 638-1444 or email downdog@karmakidsyoga[email protected] to registerCost: FreeFor more info: http://www.karmakidsyoga.com/
Where: Karma Kids Yoga, 104 West 14th Street (between 6th and 7th Avenues.)When: 4:30 PM - 5:30 PMWho: Ages 6+How: Call (212) 638-1444 or email [email protected] to registerCost: FreeFor more info: http://www.karmakidsyoga.com/
Where: Citibabes, 52 Mercer, 3rd FloorWhen: 6:30 PM - 8:00 PMWho: Ages 3+How: RSVP to [email protected] by January 17th.Cost: $25 per child for members ($35 for non-members)For more info: http://citibabes.com
Where: McNally Jackson, 52 Prince Street; Karma Kids, 104 W 14th St; Ottendorfer, 135 Second Avenue (near E. 8th St.); Hamilton Fish Park, 415 E Houston StWhen: n/aWho: 0-6How: Just Show UpCost: Free
Where: Rubin Museum of Art, 150 W. 17th Street (between 6th & 7th Aves)When: 11:00 AM - 12:00 PMWho: Ages 3-5, accompanied by an adultHow: For registration, tickets and box office, call (212) 620 - 5000 x 344Cost: $10 ($5 for members)For more info: www.rmanyc.org or (212) 620-5000
Saturday, January 15 - Symphony Space's Just Kidding Series: 'Andrew J. Memr & Cats Paying Dues Plus'
Where: Symphony Space, 2537 Broadway at 95th Street, New YorkWhen: 11:00 AM (Second show at 2pm)Who: All AgesCost: ADULTS $19, Members $16, Day of Show $20; KIDS $13, Members $12, Day of Show $14For more info: http://www.symphonyspace.org/
Where: Cercle Rouge, 241 West BroadwayWhen: 12:00 PM - 2:00 PM (Every Saturday and Sunday)Who: All AgesHow: Call to make a reservationCost: Free with prix fixe brunch ($19.95) and there is a kids' menu with meals starting at $5For more info: http://www.cerclerougeresto.com/ or call (212_226-6252
Where: Rubin Museum of Art, 150 W. 17th Street (between 6th & 7th Aves)When: 2:00 PM - 3:00 PM (Saturday Workshop)Who: Ages 6 and upHow: For registration, tickets and box office, call (212) 620 - 5000 x 344Cost: $10 ($5 for members)For more info: www.rmanyc.org or (212) 620-5000
Where: Rubin Museum, 150 W. 17th StreetWhen: 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM (Every Saturday)Who: All AgesHow: For registration, tickets and box office, call (212) 620 - 5000 x 344Cost: Free with museum admissionFor more info: www.rmanyc.org or (212) 620-5000 x 344
Where: Barnes & Noble, 33 E. 17th St.; Books of Wonder, 18 W. 18th St.When: n/aWho: All AgesHow: Just Show UpCost: Free
- Warm-Up – 5 minutes
- Cardio – 20 minutes
- Upper Body – Push ups, back and shoulder movements
- Core Work – Crunches, rotation and stabilization movements
- Lower Body – Squats, squat thrusts, lunges, jumps
- Stretch – Cool-down dynamic stretching
Where: Downtown Dance Factory, 291 Broadway, 5th Floor (Between Duane and Reade St)When: 9:00 AMWho: All MomsHow: Sign Up OnlineCost: $30/single class or $130/six classes (get the sixth class free!)For more info: http://www.mindovermatternyc.com/
Where: The Ukrainian Museum, 222 East 6th Street (bet. 2nd and 3rd Aves.) New York, NY 10003When: 11:30 AM - 1:30 PMWho: Ages 5-12How: To register, call 212-228-0110 or send an e-mail to [email protected]Cost: $5/person ($3 for members)For more info: http://www.ukrainianmuseum.org
artists. Visit the CMA website for upcoming workshop themes and age recommendations.
Where: Children's Museum of the Arts, 182 Lafayette (between Broome & Grande)When: 12:00 PM - 5:00 PMWho: Varies based on the workshopHow: No reservations requiredCost: $10 per person for admissions (Admission costs cover all workshops and materials)For more info: http://cmany.org/ or call (212) 274 - 0986
Where: Museum at Eldridge Street, 12 Eldridge StreetWhen: 1:00 PM (Every Sunday)Who: Ages 5-10How: RSVP to [email protected]Cost: $15 per familyFor more info: http://www.eldridgestreet.org/ or call (212)219-0302
Where: 515 W 20th St between 10th and 11th AvenuesWhen: 2:00 PM - 5:00 PMWho: Ages 5 - 12How: Just Show UpCost: $8For more info: http://www.cgjc.org; Strollers cannot be accommodated; No children under 5 years old will be admitted.
Where: Battery Park City Library, 175 North End Avenue (at Murray Street); Ottendorfer 135 Second Avenue (near E. 8th St.); Hamilton Fish Park Library, 415 East Houston StWhen: Libraries are closed for MLK DayWho: All agesHow: Just Show UpCost: Free
Where: Taste Buds (formerly Cupcake Kids!), 109 West 27th Street, 10th floor (btw 6th & 7th avenues)When: 10:00 AM - 11:00 PM (Second class at 11:30am for 8-13 yrs)Who: 10:00am: Ages 4-8, drop-off 11:30am: Ages 8-13, drop-offHow: Register OnlineCost: $40For more info: http://www.tastebudscook.com or call 212-242-2248
Where: Karma Kids, 104 W 14th St between 6th & 7th AvenuesWhen: 11:30 PMWho: New Moms and babiesHow: Call (212) 638-1444 or email [email protected] to registerCost: FreeFor more info: http://www.karmakidsyoga.com
Where: See Info BelowWhen: n/aWho: All AgesHow: Just Show UpCost: FreeFor more info: Mulberry St 10 Jersey St; BPC 175 North End Ave; Ottendorfer 135 2nd Ave; giggle, 120 Wooster Street; Barnes & Noble 97 Warren St
Where: See Info BelowWhen: n/aWho: All AgesHow: Just Show UpCost: Free
Where: Children's Museum of the Arts, 182 Lafayette Street between Broome and GrandWhen: 10:45 AM - 12:00 PMWho: Ages 10 months to 3 1/2 yearsHow: Just show upCost: $22 per family (group of 3)For more info: www.cmany.org or (212) 274-0986
Where: South Street Seaport Museum; 12 Fulton Street, 5th FloorWhen: 11:00 AM - 12:30 PM (Every Wednesday)Who: Ages 18 months to 3 years oldHow: Call (212) 748-8786 for more informationCost: Subscription charge per month: $50.00/child
Single day rate: $15.00/child
Member rate: $25.00/child per monthFor more info: http://www.seany.org/
Where: Rubin Museum of Art, 150 West 17 Street (between 6th and 7th Avenues)When: 11:00 AM - 12:00 PMWho: Ages 3-5, accompanied by an adultHow: Call 212.620.5000 x274 to pre-registerCost: $10 /$5 (members)For more info: http://www.rmanyc.org/
Where: Sunshine Cinema, 143 East Houston StreetWhen: 1:00 PMWho: Caregiver & babyHow: Just Show UpCost: $13For more info: http://www.landmarktheatres.com/
Where: See Info BelowWhen: Recurring WeeklyWho: All AgesHow: Just Show UpCost: Free
Where: Poets House, 10 River Terrace (at Murray St)When: 10:00 AMWho: Ages 1-4How: Just Show UpCost: FreeFor more info: http://poetshouse.org
explore together, then create projects inspired by Himalayan art.
Where: Rubin Museum of Art, 150 West 17th StreetWhen: 10:30 AM - 11:30 AMWho: Ages 2-4, accompanied by an adultHow: Just Show UpCost: $10.00 (Member Price: $5.00)For more info: http://www.rmanyc.org/
Where: New Amsterdam Library, 9 Murray St.When: 4:00 PM (closed 11/11 & 11/25)Who: Ages 3-7How: Just Show UpCost: FreeFor more info: 212-732-8186, nypl.org
Where: City Treehouse, 129A W 20th Street, between 6th and 7th AvenuesWhen: 4:00 PM - 5:00 PMWho: Ages 3-6How: To register, call (212) 255-2050 or email [email protected] Space is limited!Cost: $30 in advance ($35 at the door)For more info: http://www.citytreehouse.com/
Thursday, January 20 - Mom's Night Out: Fruit Carving Demonstration and learn about the Holiday of Tu B'shvat
Where: Chabad of Battery Park, 101 Warren Street #760When: 7:30 PMWho: Moms OnlyHow: RSVP OnlineCost: Suggested Donation of $18For more info: http://www.chabadbpc.com
- Jan. 18: Lisa Graff, Umbrella Summer
- Jan. 25: Sarah Mlynowski, Bras and Broomsticks (Magic in Manhattan series)
- Feb. 1: Leslie Margolis, Girl's Best Friends: A Maggie Brooklyn Mystery
- Feb. 8: Lisa Greenwald, Sweat Treats & Secret Crashes
Where: Torly Kid, 51 Hudson St, New York, NY 10013When: 4:00 PM - 5:00 PMWho: Ages 10+How: Call 212.406.7440 or email: [email protected]Cost: $150 for 4 weeks includes 4 books for discussionFor more info: http://torlykid.com
Where: Madison Square GardenWhen: n/aWho: All AgesHow: Click here to buy ticketsCost: Tickets starting at $12For more info: http://disney.go.com/disneyonice/
Where: Bowery Culinary Center at Whole Foods, 95 E Houston StWhen: varies by ageWho: Ages 2 to 5 (+1 caregiver), 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm Ages 6 to 9 (drop-off class), 2:00 pm – 3:00 pm Ages 10 to 14 (drop-off class), 4:00 pm – 5:30Cost: $30 eachFor more info: http://wholefoodsmarket.com/
Where: Taste Buds Kitchen, 109 W 27th StreetWhen: 9:30 AM - 10:30 AM (Second session at 10:45am)Who: Ages 5-8 yrs at 9:30am (drop off); Ages 2-4 yrs at 10:45am with caregiverHow: Register hereCost: $55For more info: http://www.tastebudscook.com/
Saturday, January 22 - Symphony Space's Just Kidding Series: 'Omaha Theater Company: If You Give a Cat a Cupcake'
Where: Symphony Space, Leonard Nimoy Thalia, 2537 Broadway at 95th Street, New YorkWhen: 11:00 AM (Second show at 1pm on Saturday)Who: All AgesCost: ADULTS $25, Members $21, Day of Show $27; KIDS $15, Members $13, Day of Show $17For more info: http://www.symphonyspace.org
Where: Center for Architecture Foundation, 536 LaGuardia Place (between Bleecker and West 3rd St)When: 11:00 AM - 1:00 PM (second session at 2:00 PM)Who: Ages 5-13Cost: $20/family of 4; $10 for Members; additional guests $5 eachFor more info: http://www.cfafoundation.org
Where: Ideya Latin Bistro, 349 W Broadway between Broome and GrandeWhen: 10:00 AMWho: All AgesHow: Call for Reservations: (212)625-1441Cost: Free with an a la carte brunch; Kids menu availableFor more info: http://www.ideya.net/ or call (212)625-1441
Where: 55 Bar at 55 Christopher Street (at 7th Ave)When: 2:00 PM - 3:00 PMWho: Ages 2-8How: Just show upCost: $5 per personFor more info: http://www.amycervini.com/
Where: Friends Seminary School, 222 E 16th St (between 3rd Ave and Rutherford Place)When: 12:00 PM - 3:00 PMWho: Parents with children ages 3-17How: Pre-Register or just show upCost: Free, but Pre-Register to receive a gift bagFor more info: http://newyorkfamilycamps.com/
Where: Kids at Work, 242 W 27th St, Suite 4A, New York, NYWhen: n/aWho: Infants - 5 yrsKids at Work presents classes and activities in music, art, movement, and science for childrenHow: Just Show Up for the Open House, but you must Register Online for a trial classCost: Free
Where: Chelsea Galleries, Details provided with RegistrationWhen: 11:00 AMWho: Moms OnlyHow: Register OnlineCost: $75For more info: http://metropolitanmoms.com/
Where: New Museum, 235 Bowery New York, NY 10002When: 10:00 AMWho: 4-15 yrsHow: Just Show up, but space is limited and tickets are given out on a first-come, first-served basis. Your entire party must be present; tickets will not be given to partial parties.Cost: Free for up to two adults per family (children under 18 are always free)For more info: http://www.newmuseum.org/
Where: Bowery Culinary Center, 95 Houston StWhen: 12:00 PMWho: Ages 2-5 at 12:00 PM Ages 6-9 at 2:00 PM (drop-off class) Ages 10-14 at 4:00 PM (drop-off class)Cost: $30For more info: http://wholefoodsmarket.com/
Where: Arbons Arts Center at Henry Street Settlement, The Playhouse, 466 Grand St. New York, NYWhen: 3:00 PM - 3:45 PMWho: Ages 3-6How: Just Show UpCost: FreeFor more info: http://www.carnegiehall.org/
Where: BMCC Tribeca PAC, 199 Chambers StreetWhen: 1:30 PMWho: Ages 3+How: Buy Tickets OnlineCost: $25For more info: http://www.tribecapac.org
Where: Intrepid MuseumWhen: 10:00 AM - 5:00 PMWho: All AgesHow: Buy Tickets Online or Just Show upCost: Included with General AdmissionFor more info: http://www.intrepidmuseum.org/
Where: NYU Skirball Center for the Performing Arts, 566 LaGuardia Place at Washington SquareWhen: n/aWho: Ages 2+How: Buy Tickets in AdvanceCost: $15-$25For more info: http://www.skirballcenter.nyu.edu/ or call 212-352-3101
Where: The Theater at Madison Square Garden, 4 Pennsylvania Plaza New York, NYWhen: n/aWho: Ages 2.5-10Cost: $25-$79For more info: http://www.theateratmsg.com/
Where: NYU Skirball Center, 566 LaGuardia PlaceWhen: 10:00 AMWho: All AgesCost: $15-$25For more info: http://www.skirballcenter.nyu.edu
Ongoing Kid Friendly Performances
- Where: Union Square Theatre, 100 E 17th St
- Description: Everyone’s favorite mouse ballerina Angelina and all of her friends make the big jump from the television screen (on the PBS Kids series “Angelina Ballerina: The Next Steps”) to the stage in this musical production.
- Who: Ages 3 to 12
- When: Saturdays at 11am & 3pm Sundays at 1pm
- Cost: $29.50; PREMIUM - $49.50 (first three rows)
- Discount code: Sundays ABXTA0
- Where: French Institute/Florence Gould Hall, 55 E 59th ST, New York, NY
- Description: At only one hour in length this is perfectly suited to introduce children to the ballet. This well known story is performed in a sophisticated yet fun show.
- Who: Ages 3 to 12
- When: Feb 12th-13th
- Cost: $46
- Where: DR2 Theatre, 103 E 15th St
- Description: A celebration of friendship and family.
- Who: Ages 5 and up
- Cost: $39
- Where: Minetta LaneTheatre, 18 Minetta Lane
- Description: The eternally youthful, Obie Award–winning comedy jugglers keep a number of balls in the air—music, jokes and theatrical lunacy—with another anarchic production about the human condition—dumbed-down enough for a family-filled audience.
- Who: Ages 4 and up
- Cost: $25-$60
- Where: New World Stages, 340 West 50th Street
- Description: Now in the brand new family musical, Freckleface Strawberry, based on the beloved New York Times Best Selling book by celebrated actress Julianne Moore, you and your family can step inside the book's pages with Freckleface and friends as they learn to love the skin they're in.
- Who: All Ages
- Cost: Tickets from $39
- Where: New World Stages, 340 West 50th Street
- Description: This ode to soap was created by Fan Yang, 16-time Guinness record holder for blowing the biggest soap bubble, and it features the full spectrum of his artistry. This program includes magic, lighting effects and…bubbles: giant bubbles, walls of bubbles, bubbles within bubbles.
- Who: Ages 5 and up.
- Cost: $39.50–$64.50
- Where: Galli Theater
- Description: Hansel and Gretel are alone in the forest when they discover the famous Gingerbread House. Kids get to help them trick the wicked witch in this interactive and fun show!
- When: Jan 8-30, Saturday and Sunday at 2pm
- Who: All Ages
- Cost: $15/children, $20/adult
- Where: New World Stages, 340 West 50th Street
- Description:Tony Award–nominated actor John Tartaglia has charmed kids in Sesame Street, Johnny and the Sprites and Shrek the Musical, and made adults laugh as the original Princeton in Avenue Q. His new venture is a one-hour family musical that follows a group of fish on a hunt for underwater treasures. Along the way the friends encounter "jiving jellyfish," "a strong-willed sea horse" and "lovable Leonard the Octopus." Special effects, like an ocean floor created with black lights, will have young sea urchins swooning.
- Who: Ages 3 and up
- Cost: $39
- Where: Manhattan Children’s Theatre at 52 White Street (2 blocks south of Canal Street between Broadway & Church Streets)
- Description: In a fun new twist on the old kid’s favorite, a pair of bungling wolves try to outwit our fast-talking heroine on her way to Granny’s house.
- When: Jan 8 - Feb 28, Saturdays & Sundays at Noon & 2pm
- Who: All ages.
- Cost: $20 a ticket
- Where: Daryl Roth Theatre, 101 E 15th St (between Union Square and Irving Place)
- Description: Come join the ultimate play date, and dance, stretch and giggle with your new BFF's - The Ohmies. Get your kids moving and let their imaginations run wild as they sing along to original music, hop like a grasshopper, slither like a snake, fly like a butterfly and help The Ohmies shake off the worries. Grow and glow with Bella Butterfly, Carlin Caterpillar and all of their friends on their way to surprise Mr. Sun and see their wish garden bloom.
- Who: All ages
- When: Jan 6-30
- Cost: $36
- Where: The Vineyard’s Dimson Theatre, 108 East 15th Street
- Description: A tot obsessed with eating pink cupcakes finds herself turning her favorite rosy hue (which still beats the stuffing out of getting fat) in this musical with book and lyrics by Elizabeth and Victoria Kann and music by John Gregor. Teresa K. Pond directs.
- Who: All ages.
- Cost: $29.50
- Where: Tada! Youth Theater, 15 W 28th St, 3rd Floor
- Description: Meet Br'er Rabbit and learn that by using some 'rabbit sense,' even the smallest creatures can outsmart the biggest beasts.
- When: Jan 21st - Feb 20th
- Who: All ages.
- Cost: $8-$20
- Where: ZINC BAR, 82 West 3rd Street, between Thompson and Sullivan Streets
- Description: The Quantum Eye is Sam Eaton's entertaining and fascinating exploration of mentalism, magic, perception and deception, where extraordinary ability and gentle humor blend with the audience to make for a different performance every time. Join Sam on a journey past the limits of possibility in a show you will never forget.
- Who: Ages 8+
- Cost: $47-77
- Where: Vital Theatre, 2162 Broadway, 4th Floor
- Description: Velma Gratch is excited to start first grade, but when she does she finds herself overshadowed by her older sisters! While searching for a way to stand out, Velma discovers she has a passion for butterflies! When one lands on her finger, she’s in heaven! But what is she to do when it doesn’t fly away? A charming story of a girl and a butterfly, and Velma’s metamorphosis into something unique and special.
- When: Jan 15th - Feb 27th
- Who: All ages.
- Cost: $25
Break out the photos of your little ones and enter them to win some great prizes from OXO Tot! Do you have a classic shot of your child in the tub? Blowing bubbles? If so, enter it in OXO Tot’s weekly photo contest! The contest for 1/18 - 20 is for “Bathtime fun”, so grab the camera and the baby shampoo and let your baby go to town (don’t forget the towels).
OXO Tot is a new line of feeding, cleaning and bathing products for babies and toddlers ...
Photographing Babies – Tips from Kodak
- Shoot from your perspective Document your interactions with your baby. Try including your arms in the photo as you interact with your child. If you’re giving them a bath, shoot from the angle you are really at in that moment. Capture things as realistically as possible and from the angle that only a parent sees.
- Try a new perspective Get down to your baby’s eye level and see the world through their eyes. Sit on the ground, or lay down if you need to. Physically moving to their ...
© 2013 Macaroni Kid, LLC